We are right in the midst of the festive season! India, in its glorious diversity is a country that celebrates thousands of festivals. Festivals of India by Sonia Mehta (Puffin books) brings to life the vast treasure trove of Indian celebrations and festivities, in all their colourful splendour. The book is a part of the Discover India Series. As the name suggests, discovering the country through its festivals is a fun ride all the way through!
And here are the reasons why we love Festivals of India….
- Just like the festivals of India, the book is vibrant and colourful…a delight to read!
- The book covers fifty festivals celebrated in India, and these include not only the religious festivals, but also tribal fests, celebrations linked to agriculture and farming and national festivals.
- The information is presented in a manner that makes it very easy to read and digest. Each festival has one page dedicated to it. Different aspects of the festival (for example, the legend behind it, the manner of celebration, fun facts and so on) are presented in different sections with apt illustrations, making it really easy and interesting to read and grasp.
- Very simple language, but packed with loads of information which makes it a comprehensive source of information.
- Along with the informative aspect, there are bits of activities and fun quizzes and puzzles neatly woven within which just adds to the fun!
Who is it for…
A great reference book for children aged 3-9. While the older kids would be able to read it by themselves, the book is as appealing for younger kids to be read to! Children can glean through the book for information on specific festivals, fun facts related to the same and some lovely illustrations and pictures. It is a source of compact and comprehensive information on fifty festivals celebrated in our country. A book for keeps!